Dental bonding is a cosmetic dentistry procedure that uses a tooth-colored composite resin material applied to your teeth to enhance your smile. At North Alabama Smiles, we use bonding to correct the appearance of cracked, broken, chipped, stained teeth or conceal gaps between teeth.
When Should You Choose Dental Bonding?
There are several dental conditions in which dental bonding should be considered:
- To repair cracked or chipped teeth
- To fill tooth gaps
- As an alternative to metal fillings
- To fill decayed teeth
- To enhance the aesthetics of discolored teeth
- To alter the shape of imperfect teeth
Dental Bonding Procedure
Dental bonding is a painless and straightforward procedure. The steps included in the dental bonding process are:
Anesthesia is generally not required for the bonding procedure unless a decayed tooth has to be filled. During your initial appointment, our dentists at North Alabama Smiles will use a shade chart to select the color of the composite resin material to be used to ensure that it closely resembles your natural teeth.
- Bonding Application
Next, the tooth's surface is intentionally roughened, and a liquid is applied to condition the tooth. The roughening and conditioning will help the bonding material adhere firmly to the tooth.
During the next step, the tooth-colored bonding material is applied and then shaped to achieve the desired results. Laser light is then used to set the material. Once the material is set, our dentists will further trim and shape it so that no creases are present and there are no differences between the tooth and resin material.
Duration of the Procedure
The bonding of one tooth usually requires about 30 to 60 minutes and can be completed in one dental visit.
Benefits of Dental Bonding
Dental bonding is a procedure that can boost your smile’s aesthetics and can be beneficial in various ways:
- It is one of the most straightforward procedures in dentistry
- It is among the least expensive of all dental procedures
- It can be accomplished in one visit unless there are multiple teeth to bond
- The outermost structure of the tooth is preserved as its removal is unnecessary
- Anesthesia is not required
- It is efficient in fixing minor cosmetic imperfections
- It can be used as a temporary solution for a cosmetic defect
If you want to know more about dental bondings and their benefits, visit North Alabama Smiles at 55 Golf view Dr NE #5467, Arab, AL 35016. You can also reach us by calling (256) 586-8100.