Teeth, especially the premolars and molars, have deep grooves and fissures that can accumulate harmful bacteria and plaque if efficient oral hygiene is not practiced regularly. Tooth decay and cavities can occur if plaque and food particles are left in these grooves or fissures. Thankfully, dental sealants offer protection for your teeth from cavities and decay. At North Alabama Smiles, we provide sealant applications as a preventive measure to ensure a healthy oral state for our patients.
What Is a Dental Sealant?
A sealant is a translucent coating applied to smoothen the chewing surface of molars, premolars, and any deep hollows of teeth. More than 75 percent of tooth decay occurs in these deep grooves. Teeth with these conditions are challenging to clean and are very vulnerable to decay. A sealant safeguards the teeth by sealing the grooves, creating a smooth surface that will be easier to clean. Though sealants can ensure teeth protection for many years, they need to be checked regularly for wear and chipping.
Benefits of Sealants
Dental sealants come with several benefits that include:
- They can be applied easily and bond fast.
- They provide immediate results after application.
- They shield the grooves and fissures of the teeth from harmful bacteria.
- They are affordable and effective in the prevention of tooth decay and dental cavities.
- They resemble the natural color of the teeth and are therefore invisible.
- They ensure the esthetic appearance of your teeth.
- They are durable and can last long under the pressure of chewing.
- It can take several years before another application will be needed.
What Is the Process For Sealants?
The process of shielding the teeth with dental sealants is simple, quick, and painless. First, the fissures and grooves of the teeth to be sealed are meticulously cleaned. The teeth are then thoroughly dried and wrapped with an absorbent material to keep them dry.
An acid solution is painted on the teeth’s chewing surfaces to make them rough and enable the sealant to adhere better. The acid solution is then rinsed away, and the teeth are again dried. The dental sealants are then smeared directly to the tooth surface. It bonds instantly to the tooth and then hardens. Special dental tools are used to speed up the hardening of the dental sealant on the tooth.
If you want to know more about dental sealants, visit North Alabama Smiles at 55 Golfview Dr NE #5467, Arab, AL 35016. You can also reach us at (256) 586-8100.