Are you suffering from intense jaw pain, hearing popping sounds, experiencing facial numbness or other discomforts? Then you may be suffering from jaw misalignment or a temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder.
TMJ treatments vary for each person and may require a combination of several techniques. The techniques include dietary modifications, nightguards, and possible TMJ surgery. At North Alabama Smiles, we offer advanced TMJ care to help you regain full use of your jawbone and get relief from pain and discomfort.
What Is TMJ?
TMJ (temporomandibular joint) includes the joints on either side of your head that connect the jawbone to your skull. When misaligned, it can cause TMJ disorders.
Most patients experience symptoms like:
- Tenderness or inflammation in the jawbone
- Pain on either of the temporomandibular joints
- Severe earaches
- Difficulty chewing or speaking
- Trouble opening or closing the mouth
- Popping sounds when moving their jaw
- Migraines and headaches
- Abnormal growths on the side of the face
- Clenching of the jaw muscles
What Causes TMJ Disorders?
The exact cause of TMJ disorders is not yet identified. However, people in the following categories have a higher risk of developing symptoms:
- Have incurred an injury to the jaw joint, or the muscles of the head and neck
- Grind or clench their teeth during sleep
- Have movement in the disc between the ball and socket joint
- Have arthritis
- Suffer from stress-induced jaw tightening
TMJ Treatments at North Alabama Smiles
Our dentists at North Alabama Smiles can provide TMJ treatments to relieve your pain and discomfort. We personalize our treatments based on your specific needs and help you decide which techniques are best for your condition.
The TMJ treatments we offer include:
- Customized nightguards
- Oral appliances
- Diet recommendations
- Physical therapy/jaw exercises
- TMJ surgery
Benefits of TMJ Treatment
With the help of innovative technology, our expert dentists can help you recover from TMJ problems. Here are some benefits of the treatments we offer:
- TMJ treatment reduces pain and discomfort, allowing you to properly use your mouth
- Treating TMJ conditions alleviates your risk of developing future dental issues
- TMJ treatments prevent other health issues such as ringing in the ears or constant headaches
To find out more about the benefits of TMJ treatments, visit North Alabama Smiles at 55 Golfview Dr NE #5467, Arab, AL 35016, or contact us by phone at (256) 586-8100.